Sunday, September 14, 2008

The Nativity of Mary

I missed another important day! First I missed Mother Theresa and now I have missed the Virgin Mary. I didn't even know I had missed it. This time my kids didn't alert me. I didn't even see it on my favorite Catholic blogs. Seems we all missed it together. I was at the gas station pumping gas - which BTW I paid over $4.00 a gallon for the first time ever, thank you, Ike - and a lady I know in passing pulled up at the next pump. We exchanged pleasantries which is the extent of our usual interaction but then she turned and said, "Oh, you'll know!" And proceeded to ask me whether Mary had just had a birthday. And I said, "Mary, who?" She said, "The Mary, Jesus' mother." as in, "OMGosh I thought you were such a good Catholic and you don't know who Mary is?!" So, my reputation as a good Catholic is somewhat tarnished. I may have to surf Catholic websites and take note of what important feast days are coming up because I am feeling slack.

Just as I had a Mother Theresa favorite, I have to offer up my Mary favorite. It's a prayer for traveling that I start reciting repeatedly on the interstate and in the rain!

Our Lady of the highway,
Be with us on our journey,
For all your ways are beautiful,
And all your paths are peace.

No comments: