Tuesday, December 13, 2011

The Undomestic Goddess by Sophie Kinsella

From Goodreads: Workaholic attorney Samantha Sweeting has just done the unthinkable. She’s made a mistake so huge, it’ll wreck any chance of a partnership. Going into utter meltdown, she walks out of her London office, gets on a train, and ends up in the middle of nowhere. Asking for directions at a big, beautiful house, she’s mistaken for an interviewee and finds herself being offered a job as housekeeper. Her employers have no idea they’ve hired a lawyer–and Samantha has no idea how to work the oven. She can’t sew on a button, bake a potato, or get the #@%# ironing board to open. How she takes a deep breath and begins to cope–and finds love–is a story as delicious as the bread she learns to bake. But will her old life ever catch up with her? And if it does…will she want it back?

Seven years ago a friend gave me this book and I read it in about an hour in the airport trying to finish it before my plane boarded so I could leave it and not have the weight in my carry on. I thought it was cute and so later picked up, Can You Keep A Secret by the same author which became and still is one of my favorite Chick Lit books. Flash forward to today and I need a "U" book for the A-Z Reading Challenge and decided to read this one again with a little more attention and see if I still liked it. It was okay - as the very first British Chick Lit book I read, it was unique and fresh and funny but now that I have read dozens in this genre, it's not as impressive.




1 comment:

Netherland said...

Samantha is a high powered lawyer with a very prestigious law firm. Her career is going very well. So of course she is happy, and no one can tell her different. Then with one mistake,she has lost it all; and any chance she ever had of being happy again. When she finds herself working as a housekeeper, however, she finds that she is getting a chance at real happiness.