Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Between, Georgia by Joshilyn Jackson

From Goodreads: Nonny Frett understands the meaning of the phrase "inbetween a rock and a hard place" better than any woman alive. She's got two mothers, "one deaf-blind and the other four baby steps from flat crazy." She's got two men: a husband who's easing out the back door; and a best friend, who's laying siege to her heart in her front yard. And she has two families: the Fretts, who stole her and raised her right; and the Crabtrees, who won't forget how they were done wrong. Now, in Between, Georgia, a feud that began the night Nonny was born is escalating and threatening to expose family secrets. Ironically, it might be just what the town needs...if only Nonny weren't stuck in between.

Bummer, this one just wasn't that good. I loved Backseat Saints and gods in Alabama so I was really eager to read this one. Then I acquired it in a magical way so it seemed like I was just meant to have it and surely it would be wonderful. (that story...after scouring the library book sale tables thinking I had seen every book there was to offer more than once, a friend wandered by and gave me the name of a book she was loooking for. I said I'd look and told her I was looking for Between, Georgia if she happpened to see it. Well, she reached down and plucked it out of the pile right underneath my nose, I had overlooked it again and again but she spotted it.) So those two things combined to give me some seriously high expectations and this just didn't meet them. I liked the quirky characters in Jackson's other books but this book was ALL quirky characters - there wasn't a normal one in the bunch and it was just too over the top. And, it didn't grab me like her other books. The other books once I started, I just couldn't put them down. This one I put aside several times in favor of other books.

But...2 out of 3 of her books being on my "amazing" list means Joshilyn Jackson remians on my "must read" list! I am on the hunt for her other book, The Girl Who Stopped Swimming, and will look forward to her newest one coming out next month, A Grown-Up Kind of Pretty.

This works for these challenges..

1 comment:

bermudaonion said...

I liked this book, but it's probably my least favorite of Jackson's work.