Monday, May 16, 2011

Mailbox Monday

Mailbox Monday started by Marcia at A Girl and Her Books is the gathering place for readers to share the books that came into their house last week (checked out library books don’t count, eBooks & audio books do). This month Mailbox Monday is being hosted by Mari at MariReads. Stop by there to check out everyone else's mailboxes.

I had one book come through my mailbox for review. The Butterfly's Daughter by Mary Alice Monroe.
Here's the description from Goodreads: Four very different women embark on a transformational journey that follows the migrating monarchs across the United States to Mexico. The story begins when Luz Avila's grandmother, the local butterfly lady, purchases an old, orange VW bug for a road trip home to Mexico. When she unexpectedly dies, Luz is inspired to take her grandmother's ashes home. In the manner of the Aztec myth of the goddess who brings light to the world, Luz attracts a collection of lost women, each seeking change in their lives. The Mexican people believe the monarchs are the spirits of the recently departed and Luz taps into ancient rituals and myths as she follows the spectacular, glittering river of orange monarchs in the sky to home.
I've started this one already and it has been good so far. I was surprised by the gradnmother's death so soon into the book but shouldn't have been. It is right there in the blurb that it happens right away - but, nevertheless, I still was surprised that it happened right away!

Mary Alice Monroe is a local author so I was very excited to get this particular book through the Goodreads First Reads program - I'm happy to win any book but winning one I already had on my mental wish list is especially thrilling! I've read one of her's before Time Is a River but apparently never posted about it (imagine that!) and I have another, Sweetgrass, here in my TBR stack. The other one that got a lot of publicity was Last Light Over Carolina. She's written probably a dozen more but I don't know anything about the others.

10 comments:

Jules said...

This sounds really interesting, I always enjoy reading local authors too!:)

bermudaonion said...

You will love The Butterfly's Daughter!

Anonymous said...

I want to read this one soon. Several have really liked it. I read her book, THE BOOK CLUB, many years ago and liked it a lot. Glad you got a book you'd enjoy and have a good time with it!

Mary (Bookfan) said...

I hope you love it!

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

This sounds like a great book; enjoy

Beth(bookaholicmom) said...

I have this one and hope to get to it soon. I have seen a few really good reviews for it. I hope we both enjoy it.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a good one. Enjoy!

Amused said...

Oh I've heard wonderful things about that book! Happy reading.

Aisle B said...

I have such incredible things on this book. Enjoy :)

Darlene said...

I have The Butterfly's Daughter to read - just haven't gotten to it yet. It sure does sound like a good book plus it has a great cover!