Friday, July 3, 2009

Zapped by Carol Higgins Clark

From Barnes and Nobel synopsis: It's a hot, humid July night in New York City. Where were you when the lights went out?

A New York City resident for many years, Carol Higgins Clark was there during the blackout of 2003. Not surprisingly, she felt that Regan and Jack Reilly should one day share the experience!

As Zapped begins, the Reillys return home from a summer weekend to the loft in Tribeca they are in the agonizing process of renovating and expanding. They are looking forward to a quiet supper on their newly acquired rooftop terrace. But it's not meant to be. While Jack goes to pick up Chinese food, Regan enters their apartment, unaware that a nervous thief, who preceded her by minutes, is hiding in the front closet. A thief who knows about a hidden safe that Regan and Jack have yet to discover. Minutes later, the blackout strikes, and both Reillys are called into action.


It wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. Aren't those the words every author longs to hear? Zapped got a lukewarm review by my book club friend that passed it on to me. Carol Higgins Clark, in general, seems to be considered not as good as her mother. So with those two thoughts in my head, I just read this one because I needed a "Z". But, really, it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. It was kind of like a Harlequin romance but a mystery. I finished it in about two hours without taxing my vocabulary or powers of logic. It has a zillion characters and they are all intertwined and then at the end, everything wraps up neatly. The main characters - a "husband and wife team" pair of detectives who are constant throughout the series - are appealing; they were just the right mix of cute and cop. The other characters were kind of stock - starlet/golddigger, spoiled princess daughter, blue collar workers, psycho chick with a branding iron, nobody you haven't seen before (ok maybe the branding iron was unique). Carol Higgins Clark has a website - you can check out the other eleven books in the series.

This book is my "Z" for the A-Z Reading Challenge! Click on the logo to see my progress.

2 comments:

Beth F said...

Sometimes a light fun read is just the ticket!

Tina said...

I like reading your reviews. They make me want to read every book and join every reading group you are in too. I'm going to have to look at my library record and see where I am with the A-Z challenge.