Monday, July 27, 2009

Sunday with Colin

I spent my entire Sunday other than my hour at Mass, slaving away to complete my second task for the Everything Austen Challenge. I watched the entire six part mini-series from A&E of Pride and Prejudice. The one with Colin Firth. (Just for the record, if I had any technological skills, I would insert my own head into that photo with Colin Firth, but, alas, I have none.) So here's how my day went - I'd watch a 50 minute episode, then, while it was rewinding, I would go to the bathroom, get a snack, check Facebook, and then return to my bed for the next 50 minute episode. Repeat for a total of six episodes and you have my Sunday. I tell you....the things I do for these challenges! And if I didn't have to work today, I'd be ready to do the whole day over again!

When I borrowed the set of VHS tapes from my friend Mary Poppins, she told me that she watched them when her daughter was a baby. She said she would watch them every night over and over again - when she finished one, she'd start the next and then when the series was over, she'd just start it right up again from the beginning. Hmmm, I thought, she may only be "practically perfect" but she is totally crazy. But now I know, if my children instead of being mobile, articulate, demanding pre-teens and teens were instead infants who I could cradle in my arms on the couch all night while I watched Colin Firth, I would do it too. It was so fun to see the story brought to life with such detail and elegance. The words that I confess sometimes seemed awkward to read seemed just right as the characters interacted with each other. The mother and silly sisters were so embarrassing they made me cringe, Jane was so serene, I finally understood how Mr. Darcy could not have truly judged her affections for his friend, everything was magical!

I watched this series as part of the Everything Austen Challenge hosted by Stephanie at Stephanie's Written Word. Next comes the new version movie - the one with Keira Knightley. I hate to be pessimistic but I can't imagine that it could possibly live up to this.

No comments: