Thursday, July 9, 2009

The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis

From the back cover: Narnia … the land beyond the wardrobe, the secret country known only to Peter, Susan, Edmund, and Lucy … the place where adventure begins. Lucy is the first to find the secret wardrobe in the professor's mysterious old house. At first, no one believes her when she tells of her adventures in the land of Narnia. But soon Edmund and then Peter and Susan discover the Magic and meet Aslan, the Great Lion, for themselves. In blink of an eye, their lives are changed forever. Enter this enchanted world countless times in The Chronicles of Narnia.

This book was just as enchanting as I remembered from my childhood. The story this time was the passion of Christ. In this book, Aslan is another person of the Trinity, Jesus. He gives his life at the Stone Table for Edmunds and then he is resurrected and comes again to battle evil. I wonder if I saw any of this as a child? I wonder if the Professor is Digory from the first book?

The imagery I saw was the old rhymes prophesying like the Old Testament and the group's journey carrying the packs that Lucy thought were heavy were like Christ carrying the cross. And, of course, Peter, the Rock upon which Christ built His Church.

When Aslan told Peter that he must clean his sword after each use. I thought that kind of stood out and must be important but I haven't figured out any significance yet.

Chronicles of Narnia Reading ChallengeThis book is my second for the Chronicles of Narnia Reading Challenge hosted by Carrie at Reading to Know

1 comment:

Carrie said...

This story shall probably always be my favorite of the whole series, with Voyage of the Dawn Treader coming in at a close second.