Friday, February 13, 2009

Eclipse by Stephenie Meyer

From the author's website: As Seattle is ravaged by a string of mysterious killings and a malicious vampire continues her quest for revenge, Bella once again finds herself surrounded by danger. In the midst of it all, she is forced to choose between her love for Edward and her friendship with Jacob—knowing that her decision has the potential to ignite the ageless struggle between vampire and werewolf. With her graduation quickly approaching, Bella has one more decision to make: life or death. But which is which?

What's there for me to say? I am the last one to read the series so it's all been said before. I liked this book better than book 2 (New Moon) but not as much as book 1 (Twilight). The whole "Who will she choose?" question doesn't do much for me because Edward is such an obvious choice. I haven't read the last one yet but she must end up with Edward. If not, I would have heard about it by now. There would have been rioting in the streets, suicide pacts by teenage girls, hackers disabling Stephenie Meyer's website - really, the world would pretty much end. So while there isn't much suspense for me, I am enjoying the journey. It's seductive. My girlfriend keeps getting all deep thoughts on me asking, "What kind of message is this sending our teen daughters?" She thinks Bella being willing to give up her life for Edward is not an example of a healthy relationship. I agree but we are spoon feeding them Prince Charming from the time they are toddlers so why start worrying now? Actually, if you were to take our two teen daughters as the examples, we needn't worry. They both seem to have moved on from the Twilight series without a glance back. It's for us old folks now. Twilight and Facebook - we rock!

No comments: