Saturday, January 28, 2012

Dewey by Vicki Myron

From Goodreads: DEWEY is the heartwarming story of Dewey Readmore Books, the beloved library cat of Spencer, Iowa, as told by his owner and companion of nineteen years, Vicki Myron, the librarian who found him on a frigid January morning when he was abandoned as a kitten in the book drop slot. It is also the story of a remarkable small town, which burned down at the beginning of the Depression, only to rebuild itself, and which was almost shuttered during the farm crisis of the 1980s, before regrouping and rededicating itself to small town American values. Dewey's local charm and worldwide fame became a symbol of hope for this recovering town. Through Dewey's antics, we come to know and love many of the colorful and inspiring people of Spencer. But perhaps the most inspiring person in Spencer is Vicki Myron herself, a single mother who survived the bankruptcy of her family farm and working in a box factory to put two of her brothers through college to become one of the leaders of the Iowa library system. Dewey is one lovable, roguish cat who managed to transform an entire town and inspire people across the globe.

Most everyone who reads book blogs has heard of Dewey and knows what a heartwarming story this is; I enjoyed every bit of this one from cover to cover. The rest of this is a spoiler so stop reading now if you haven't read it yet!

Is every book I pick up now going to be about cancer? The author has a bout with cancer, her mother dies of cancer, her brother dies of cancer and in the end even the cat dies of cancer. It just doesn't stop. I wonder if books have always been this cancer laden and I just didn't take note because cancer hadn't touched my life then like it has now. It's kind of like when I bought my red Volvo station wagon - I got it because I thought (for a station wagon) it was funky, different, off-beat - made me as cool as I could be in a station wagon. But as soon as I started driving it, I realized that there were plenty of other folks who also had red Volvo wagons - I just had never noticed them. Good book, plenty of tears, but a hopeful, joyful message throughout!

I am trying to reach 100 books this year - I've never done it before although I have come very close, click on the logo to see how I am doing for this year!

No comments: