Thursday, December 30, 2010

Nantucket Nights by Elin Hilderbrand

From Goodreads: For 20 years, Kayla, Antoinette, and Val have performed their own special summer ritual. Once a year, the old friends put aside their daily, separate lives to drink champagne, swap stories, and swim naked under the Nantucket stars. This time though, one of them swims out from the shore and doesn't return. After the surviving friends emerge from their grief, they realize that the repercussions of their loss go far beyond their little circle, and they begin to uncover layers of secrets, and their connections to each other, that were never revealed on the beach. What has made their friendship strong now has the power to destroy their marriages, families-and even themselves.

Well, 2010 when out with a whimper reading-wise. This was the last book I read in 2010 and it was a dud. There is not a single character in this book who had my sympathies, Hilerbrand gave them all more flaws than redeeming qualities. The plot was inventive enough to keep me reading to figure it all out but at the same time, much of it was so unbelievable that I didn't really enjoy it. And the ending? Oh my, what a train wreck. I enjoyed The Island (would link here to a review if I had written one!) and I have two others of hers in my TBR pile, I think this was an anomaly and am still looking forward to the other books she has written.

No comments: