Tuesday, December 14, 2010

The Jane Austen Book Club by Karen Joy Fowler

Description from Goodreads: In California s central valley, five women and one man join to discuss Jane Austen s novels. Over the six months they get together, marriages are tested, affairs begin, unsuitable arrangements become suitable, and love happens. With her eye for the frailties of human behaviour and her ear for the absurdities of social intercourse, Karen Joy Fowler has never been wittier nor her characters more appealing. The result is a delicious dissection of modern relationships.


This was a fun read despite the fact that I have only read one (yes, one!) Jane Austen novel. I liked the characters, I liked the format of getting to know them as a group then focusing on them as individuals when it was their turn to host the book club. I didn't like the "teaching moments" - mini lectures on related subjects inserted here and there but they were really well delineated by type and formatting so I could skip right over those. There were synopses of the Jane Austen books in the back but I didn't really need them; she (Austen) has become so popular that I knew enough just from pop culture to get by with the book club discussions. I wonder how real Austen fans felt about this book - may have to go read some reviews and see. This has also been made into a movie so I'll add it to my list of movies that I ought to watch but probably never will.

This wraps up the Reading A-Z Challenge for 2010. (My "J" book was supposed to be Jefferson for the US Presidents Reading Project but I have started and stopped it a dozen times so there is no way I will finish that one by the 31st!) Click on the button to see all the titles I read, not all have posts linked because I have been computerless FOREVER! This is my first post on my new computer so I have high hopes that those issues are behind me!

No comments: