Sunday, November 16, 2008

Wallflower at the Orgy by Nora Ephron

I have never read anything by Nora Ephron before but I have enjoyed her work at the movie theater. That's really an understatement - some of her movies are on my "I will watch this movie again if it comes on no matter how many times I have watched it before" list. Those would include Sleepless in Seattle, You've Got Mail, and When Harry Met Sally. And just in case you're curious, the list also includes Non-Nora movies like Legally Blonde, all the Bourne movies, The Breakfast Club, and...enough, I digress, maybe I should write a post about movies!

I already had Nora's next book, I Feel Bad About My Neck in my TBR pile when I spotted Wallflower at the bookstore. The title just tickled me because it felt like ME. I read a quote recently by Camus ... "Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal." That one is me too. Some of us seem destined to wander around feeling just a little bit not connected to what's going on around us. To be in the midst of things but perhaps still not a part of things. Nora was told at some point that this personality trait made for a good reporter because they are more content to be the observer on the sidelines than the participant.

You've probably gathered by now that the book really isn't about sex at all! (And if you arrived here by googling orgy, I am sure you are sorely disappointed - get off my blog you pervert.)It's a collection of magazine articles that Nora wrote in the late 1960's. They are a fascinating peek into the culture of the times. I want to run away and read Ayn Rand and Jacqueline Susann and watch Love Story and Catch-22. I want to put on a mini-skirt, light up a cigarette, and settle in with Cosmopolitan and Helen Gurley-Brown. What a great read!

No comments: