Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Memorial Day by Vince Flynn

From the author's website: CIA intelligence has pointed to a major terrorist attack on the United States, just as the nation’s capital prepares for a grand Memorial Day tribute to the veterans of World War II. Racing to Afghanistan, Mitch Rapp leads a commando raid on an al Qaeda stronghold in a remote border village.


This was your basic suspense/thriller of the macho variety. It took me two tries to get started but since I have said that exact same thing so frequently lately (like here and here), I'm beginning to wonder if it is just me! The main character Mitch Rapp is arrogant, impatient, sexist, intolerant; I really did not like him. I enjoyed the plot for the suspense - will they save the day?!- but I did not click with any of the characters. I did not realize until after the fact how timely the subject matter was - the debate about whether suspected terrorists should be read their rights and tried in the courts was on the news very shortly after I finished this one.

Vince Flynn's leading man character, Mitch Rapp, may not be my cup of tea but, boy, does Flynn have a great website! He softened me up by having a page devoted to charities, a page answering questions from readers, another featuring photos of readers with his books. He is either a marketing wizard or he has hired one because that site is impressive and sucks you in with so many varied links.

This book is my "M" book for the 2010 A-Z Reading Challenge. Click on the button to see my progress.






This book counts toward the 2010 Audiobook Challenge hosted by the bloggers over at Royal Reviews. Click on the button to see my progress.

1 comment:

bermudaonion said...

You do have a lot on your mind right now, so I can see why you'd be distracted in your reading. Sometimes I love to hate characters like Mitch Rapp.