Sunday, January 24, 2010

The New York Regional Mormon Singles Halloween Dance by Elna Baker

From the author's website: The New York Regional Mormon Singles Halloween Dance is a coming of age story about Elna Baker’s experience as a practicing Mormon in New York City. Elna’s life changes when she loses eighty pounds and gets the sexual attention she’s always wanted…. only to discover that as a Mormon she can’t follow through. The book takes on identity, faith, sex and love as Elna questions traditional values in modern times.

I actually read this one back in November but missed posting it. Hard to believe becuase it was one of the books that most excited me in 2009. I loved it. Elna is witty and fun and irreverent but then, at the same time, her faith is important to her and she just can't shed it like she did the weight. I wish I had thought to write a bit sooner because I might have remembered some of the funnier details that gave the book such a spark; you can get a taste of her style at her website www.elnabaker.com linked above if you read some of her blog entries.

As I read the book, I wondered what other Mormons would think of her candid observations and her finding the humor in her faith and her life. It generated a lot of discussion in the blogosphere like this post at Mormon Mommy Wars. Being able to eavesdrop on that conversation is one more reason to love the book bloggers!

4 comments:

bermudaonion said...

This book looks so good to me! I'm glad to see you enjoyed it.

Gerbera Daisy Diaries said...

I loved Elna!!! I loved her frankness, her "real-ness" and her humor!
Very brave to air your dirty laundry and struggles for the world to see.

Booksnyc said...

Thanks for introducing me to this one - I just put it onto the wishlists at PBS and Bookmooch.

Jenny said...

This sounds like an interesting read, especailly following the Feb National Geo cover story on the FDLS. I will be looking for this one.