Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte and Wondrous Words Wednesday (lite)

From Goodreads: Charlotte Brontë’s most beloved novel describes the passionate love between the courageous orphan Jane Eyre and the brilliant, brooding, and domineering Rochester. The loneliness and cruelty of Jane’s childhood strengthens her natural independence and spirit, which prove invaluable when she takes a position as a governess at Thornfield Hall. But after she falls in love with her sardonic employer, her discovery of his terrible secret forces her to make a heart-wrenching choice. Ever since its publication in 1847, Jane Eyre has enthralled every kind of reader, from the most critical and cultivated to the youngest and most unabashedly romantic. It lives as one of the great triumphs of storytelling and as a moving and unforgettable portrayal of a woman's quest for self-respect.

What a great story! It had all the elements - lovers, crazies, villains, interesting settings, and a couple of twisty turns in the plot. Some of the classics I read and think, "Why? Why is this book considered wonderful?" Usually it's because the language is so difficult for me that I have trouble understanding it enough to follow the plot. The language in this one was challenging too. But, I had a different experience in that reading on the iPad when I got to a word I didn't know I just hit dictionary and there was the definition. I hit the dictionary button A LOT! Here are some of the words I looked up in the first 20% of the book but it's Wondrous Words Wednesday lite because although I am discussing the challenging words there were too many to try to list their definitions!

Wondrous Words Wednesday is a weekly meme where we share new (to us) words that we’ve encountered in our reading. Feel free to join in the fun by clicking on the logo to go to bermudaonions.

cavillers
promontories
torpid
lineaments
turbid
captious
opprobrium
vassalage
execrations
parterre
poltroon
pelisse
inanition
ewers
animadversions
assiduity
cumbrous
penurious
hebdomadal
moiety
perfidious
excrescence
phylactery


I read this book as part of the Jane Eyre challenge on Goodreads in anticipation of the movie coming out!

It also counts for some other challenges...

1 comment:

bermudaonion said...

I've never read Jane Eyre, but it looks like I'll need my dictionary handy if/when I do!