Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Rescue by Anita Shreve

From Goodreads: A rookie paramedic pulls a young woman alive from her totaled car, a first rescue that begins a lifelong tangle of love and wreckage. Sheila Arsenault is a gorgeous enigma--streetwise and tough-talking, with haunted eyes, fierce desires, and a never-look-back determination. Peter Webster, as straight an arrow as they come, falls for her instantly and entirely. Soon Sheila and Peter are embroiled in an intense love affair, married, and parents to a baby daughter. Like the crash that brought them together, it all happened so fast.

This was typical Anita Shreve in that it was all about the relationships within the family. When it comes to me and those relationship stories, the more dysfunctional the family, the better and Shreve did not disappoint! You usually think of the good girl falling for the bad boy so this upside down version with the steady, good dad and wild wife was a nice twist. I have to say Webster, the dad, was an appealing character - nothing is sexier to me than a man who is a good dad and holds down a steady job! I had a hard time getting started with this one. The narrator was just not my cup of tea. He is apparently just the right thing for a lot of other people because the back cover had all sorts of awards that he had won for his narration. I felt like he started every sentence with breathy excitement and then trailed off - even the most mundane of offerings was the same urgent beginning and waning ending - I almost gave up before I got through disc one because I found it such a distraction. But I persevered and I am glad I did. Once I got hooked into the story, I enjoyed it a lot.




2 comments:

bermudaonion said...

The reader can make or break an audio book, that's for sure. I'm glad this one ended up working for you because I'm an Anita Shreve fan!

Sherrie said...

Hi!
I've never listened to a book on cd before. I like to hold and feel a book. This one sounds interesting. Thanks for stopping by my place. Have a great day!

Sherrie
Just Books