Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Something Borrowed by Emily Griffin

From the author's website: Something Borrowed tells the story of Rachel, a young attorney living and working in Manhattan. Rachel has always been the consummate good girl---until her thirtieth birthday, when her best friend, Darcy, throws her a party. That night, after too many drinks, Rachel ends up in bed with Darcy's fiancee.

Although she wakes up determined to put the one-night fling behind her, Rachel is horrified to discover that she has genuine feelings for the one guy she should run from. As the September wedding date nears, Rachel knows she has to make a choice. In doing so, she discovers that the lines between right and wrong can be blurry, endings aren't always neat, and sometimes you have to risk all to win true happiness. Something Borrowed is a phenomenal debut novel that will have you laughing, crying, and calling your best friend.


This is your basic "chick lit" a frothy tale. It certainly held my interest but it wasn't laugh out loud funny or bring you to tears sentimental - which if I'm reading this genre is what I want. I could never just whole heartedly root for the heroine because she was after all - taking her "best friend's" fiance right out from under her nose. Maybe it's because I'm an old married woman. Maybe it's because I'm Catholic. Who knows? I just couldn't get past that little detail in order to actually like the people I was supposed to like. I read on the author's website that Hillary Swank bought the movie rights for this one and the next in the series, Something Blue. I'll go see the movie when it comes out and see if it does more for me as a movie than it did as a book.


This book counts for two challenges...

This is one of the books on my list for the Spring Reading Thing 2009. Click on the logo to see the rest of my list.






Click here to see my progress towards completing the challenge!

No comments: