Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Sisterhood Everlasting by Ann Brasheres

From Goodreads: Tibby, Lena, Carmen, and Bridget have grown up, starting their lives on their own. And though the jeans they shared are long gone, the sisterhood is everlasting.

Despite having jobs and men that they love, each knows that something is missing: the closeness that once sustained them. Carmen is a successful actress in New York, engaged to be married, but misses her friends. Lena finds solace in her art, teaching in Rhode Island, but still thinks of Kostos and the road she didn’t take. Bridget lives with her longtime boyfriend, Eric, in San Francisco, and though a part of her wants to settle down, a bigger part can’t seem to shed her old restlessness.

Then Tibby reaches out to bridge the distance, sending the others plane tickets for a reunion that they all breathlessly await. And indeed, it will change their lives forever—but in ways that none of them could ever have expected.


I raced through all the Traveling Pants books in my pre-blogging days. I wouldn't say I loved them - there were parts that I wasn't thrilled my young daughter was reading - but they were one of those "cultural literacy" kind of things. Everyone was reading them so you really just had to in order to be part of the discussion. Along the way I did grow fond of those girls so I couldn't resist picking this one up when I saw it at the library while I was looking for something much more scholarly - Hemingway's A Moveable Feast (which I'll mention when I write about our book club reading The Paris Wife). So I went in to the library for literary greatness and came out with fluff and, of course, sat down and proceeded to read the fluff straight through that very night. It was sentimental sap and I cried all the way through and I guessed the big secret almost as soon as I opened the book and I am glad I didn't pay money for it.....but I am also glad I read it. It satisfied my curiosity completely and like going to your high school reunion, it's just fun to know how everyone turns out all those years later!

I am trying to reach 100 books this year - I've never done it before although I have come very close, click on the logo to see how I am doing for this year!

1 comment:

bermudaonion said...

I read the first Sisterhood book and wasn't blown away by it, so I'm on the fence about this one.