Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Let's Get Back on Real Time!

Once again I am faced with a backlog of books read but not posted. Rather than beat myself up over it, I am just going to list them here and if I get around to a post, great, if not, that's okay too!


Listen for the Whisperer by Phyllis Whitney. Classic Phyllis Whitney mystery - creepy and full of red herrings, ending with the dramatic confrontation! Phyllis Whitney was one that I started with straight out of grammar school and I will always love her books!









Shopaholic Ties the Knot by Sophie Kinsella. I am not a huge Shopaholic fan. The first one made me laugh out loud but then the sequel got tiresome. I took a long break and just now picked this one back up and it seemed better - I think absence made my heart go fonder!







Mrs. Pollifax Unveiled and Mrs. Pollifax on Safari by Dorothy Gillman - These cozy mysteries are quick reads and always interesting enough to hold my attention for an afternoon. Mrs. Pollifax is like the Ladies Detective Agency lady of the 1970's.









Okay - these last few deserve their own posts because I loved them...but just in case it never happens...here they are -
The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein So unexpectedly wonderful! I mean, I knew that other peopel thought it was wonderful but I didn't expect that I would too. A dog? Race car driving? Just didn't seem like the formula for me but, of course, it was so much more than that. It was tragic. It was pummell this guy and make me cry over and over again. And I laughed too- "Give me my F*%$# thumbs, you monkeys!!!" that line just killed me.

Mennonite In a Little Black Dress by Rhoda Janzen - Hi, I'm RoundFile, I have an addiction to memoirs. I especially like humorous ones so this was a dream for me. Loved it!









Never Change by Elizabeth Berg - I've read a few Elizabeth Berg's and they have not thrilled me. I kept thinking, 'Why do I keep picking these up when they aren't thrilling me?" Then this one did. I loved these characters. It was a very satisfying read. So I guess I'll plow through a few more of her books hoping for another gem.

Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford - What a beautiful love story1 Love in all directions showed in so many different ways and involving so much sacrifice. it's especially powerful becasue it is all told against this backdrop of hatred and racism. I love historical fiction when it is doen well and this one is really done well. Great book!

These all count for the challenges...

2 comments:

bermudaonion said...

I love memoirs too! I'll have to look for Mennonite in a Little Black Dress. I hope you're doing well.

Booksnyc said...

I really like memoirs too - I have Mennonite in a Little Black Dress on my shelf so I am glad to hear it is good.

I am reading Mini-Shopaholic now and am liking it for a light read - Becky is up to her old antics but it does entertain me!