Sunday, October 24, 2010

Breaking Night; A Memoir by Liz Murray

From the Goodreads description: In the vein of The Glass Castle, Breaking Night is the stunning memoir of a young woman who at age fifteen was living on the streets, and who eventually made it into Harvard.

What a disturbing yet captivating look into the world of homeless youth and families struggling with drugs; Liz Murray's account of her youth is a page turner. Even though I knew she ended up at Harvard, I still feared for her and wanted to keep reading to get to the happy ending. The ending is uplifting and heartwarming but I wouldn't describe it as "happy"; surviving such an ordeal does not leave one unscarred and, of course, only Liz survived, there are still so many familes and youths struggling. Some reviews I read were less satisfied with the story because they had seen the movie first. I'm glad I came into it cold because I enjoyed it very much. Reviewers thought the "movie Liz" was a more appealing character but they don't aknowledge that "movie Liz" was an interpretation while these worsd in the memoir are Liz's real words, her real experiences, thoughts and feelings, her real life. Her real life is fascinating.


I read this book for the Library Thing Early Reviewers program.

No comments: